Running a 2003 file server, with files accessed by many across multiple geographical locations can come with its own challenges. One such challenge is that of file locking, especially on documents which don’t yet support true collaborative working. Such as Office 2007 documents.
Last week one of our end users suffered the same issue, documents being left locked open by a user. However, on this occasion the issue was accentuated by the server reporting the incorrect user name of the user with the read/write access. This has been a known issue for some files on our sites for sometime, however Friday I finally managed to get to the bottom of it. (more…)
Today I have mostly been fighting with Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 and our Office 365 setup, as we are still in the early stages of deployment we have not yet implemented our ADFS servers. Which means we have are experiencing some pretty frustrating issues with Office and authentication.
One machine in particular decided to really test my patience and blankly refused to authenticate, presenting the user with a constant reoccurrence of the “Welcome back to Outlook.Office365” login box.
As it happened the machine had seemed to avoid the installation of several service packs, including Office 2007 Service Pack 3, and also what turned out to be some pretty important KB hot fixes. Leaving me scratching my head for what seemed like a lifetime… That was until today! When I finally managed to find the relevant KB hot fixes and install them manually..
The journey to 365 has been a long and winding one… This particular highlights the importance of ensuring all machines connecting to 365 are bang up to date with Windows and Office updates and service packs… Lesson learnt.
UPDATE: it would appear this bug has since been resolved in the E80 release of the CheckPoint client.
Since my recent upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion I’ve been suffering a very frustrating issue with Checkpoint’s endpoint security client. For no reason at all it would frequently refuse to connect. Stating an error: “Connectivity with the Check Point Endpoint Security service is lost”
Despite trying countless things with the client I found the only fix each time was to reinstall the client.
That was until now at least, after further investigation it looks like the issue only occurs when the Trac.config file had been zeroed. Now, I’m still trying to figure out what’s happening to the file. But I found in the meantime if you kill the checkpoint client then perform the following in terminal:
$ cd “/Library/Application Support/Checkpoint/Endpoint Connect”
$ sudo cp Trac.config.bak Trac.config
Then client the starts working as expected. Alternatively you can download a compiled AppleScript from here to do just that! NB:You will be prompted for your admin credentials when either executing the command, or the script.
If you’ve found an alternative solution, please let me know in the comments below.