By default the application supports connecting to:
- Google Talk
- Yahoo Chat
A lesser known fact is that Facebook chat is actually based on the Jabber platform, which means you can connect to and use the service using nothing but the OS X Messages app.
To add your Facebook chat account to the Messages app:
- launch it from your applications folder or spotlight,
- Click on the ‘Messages’ menu bar option and then click preferences or CMD and , on your keyboard
- Click on the ‘Accounts’ tab, and then click the + symbol at the bottom of the screen
- Enter the details as per the screenshot below, replacing the stars with your Facebook profile name and your Facebook account password.
- Then click the Create button.
You should now find you will have an extra list of ‘friends’ showing on your screen. This window is actually named ‘Buddies’ and has lists of contacts from networks outside of the iMessage network.
To start a chat with someone on the Jabber network, simply double-click on their name, or type it in as you would a normal iMessage.
The Messages app comes bundled with OS X Snow Leopard and isn’t available in older versions of OS X.