For sometime now I have been a big fan of the Apple Workflow app, which Apple acquired 2 years ago. So needless to say, I was very excited when I learnt about their intention to bundle the Shortcuts app with iOS 12 back in July. As a veteran applications developer, I like automating things where possible and the Siri Shortcuts app enables just that. With the benefits of it being ‘cross-device’ and also actionable via voice from the HomePod.
The app is amazingly powerful, with third parties updating their apps all the time to support the new hooks.
It’s not as large as it used to be mainly because I had to delete a lot of them to reduce clutter.
Some of them are self-explanatory, but a few are personalized so they might not make sense to you. I’ll try to explain. It’ll take forever to share each one so let me know if you find one interesting and I’ll share later tonight before I sleep.
From left to right
- Say you shuffle your music, you land on a song you love and you want to play the whole album. This will do it. LINK
- Shuffle a playlist of favorite songs (~3000) LINK
- Sometimes I listen to an album of an artist I just discovered, so I like it and I want to know where to go next. This will take you to an aggregator that ranks the artist’s top albums. LINK
- Tweet a song you’re listening to with an album artwork and a YouTube link of your choice (it’ll take you to YT app and you copy a link then it’ll take you back). LINK
- Shuffle all songs LINK
- Shuffle albums (you play a random album in full then move to the next random album). LINK
- Play one song of your choice and then shuffle all songs. LINK
- Get artwork of your current song LINK
- Add current album to your favorite playlist (same playlist mentioned above) LINK
- Similar to the one above except here it asks you for input which should be an artist name LINK
- Search lyrics of current song LINK. Better shortcut
- Presents some codes (¯_(ツ)_/¯ etc) LINK
- Lets you type a setup and a punchline then copies the text to your clipboard LINK
- Type an emoji and it’ll name it LINK
- Get a wall of text from your clipboard, find a word and replace with another. LINK
- Create a grid from camera roll LINK
- Combine Screenshots LINK
- Upload to imgur and copy link to clipboard LINK
- Save video from Safari LINK
- Convert video to GIF LINK
- Select multiple screenshots and delete them LINK
- Open a Reddit link in Apollo LINK
- Same for Tweetbot LINK
- Download YouTube LINK
- Download videos from major social networks LINK Updated shortcut
- Download a file LINK
- Shorten URL LINK
- Want to read a NY times or WashPost article and get hit with a paywall? This will take you to an add free webpage of the whole article LINK
- Show a graph of an Amazon product from CamelCamelCamel LINK
- Kidnapped and want to ask for help but don’t know SOS? Well, this can save you by sending the signal using flashlight LINK
- Flip a coin LINK
- Control center DND has improved but not dramatically. Sometimes you want to turn it on and disable at a certain time. This allows you to do that. LINK
Edit: Just updated my comment with links. And yes, I used a shortcut to automate part of the process:)
I did want to embed the thread into the page, however – reddit has other ideas..