In a recent block post, I promoted Safari Add-in AdBlock, and it’s ability to rid your browsing experience of those annoying in page adverts.
Now I have taken this a step further, and using one of AdBlock’s manual filters I have now managed to completely remove the Facebook Chat applet completely. I am not a fan of Facebook chat, and it’s complete unreliability. Because of this I am always set to ‘offline’ mode. Which makes the button a waste of screen real estate.
You too can hide the button, simply by adding the manual filter below into AdBlock settings.
- Launch Safari
- Click on the Safari menu option
- Click Preferences
- Click on the Extensions tab
- Click on the option to launch AdBlock settings
- Click on the Customise tab
- Click on the edit filters button and paste in the following line:
- Your edit box should now look like the one below in Fig A. Now click on the save button
- Relaunch Safari and visit your Facebook page, you should find the button has now gone!