Connecting to VNC servers really is as simple as ensuring the desktop or finder has focus, then clicking Go > Connect to server, or Apple Key + K. Once the connect to server box pops up type VNC:// and the IP Address or Device name you’d like to connect to in the server address field and click connect.
Upon clicking connect, you will be prompted for the servers password. Once connected you’ll be presented with the remote machines desktop. This is something I use almost daily in my role, and find it extremely useful.
If you prefer a third party client, one you’ll always find in my applications folder is Chicken of the VNC
Let me know if you know of alternative methods for remote connections in the comments below
Early in December I blogged about Evan Schoenberg’s Rowmote the ultimate iPhone/Mac remote control. Well Evan’s been busy developing Rowmote, and has come up with this new fantastic feature. Rowmote’s latest update (2.4) includes this on phone dock. Which mirrors the applications on your Mac’s Dock, highlighting the dock application on your iPhone either activates the app or launches it if it’s not already running.
- Transfer and share files between computers
- Print from your remote mac to local printers
- Share your Mac desktop with another remote user
LogMeIn is a web based remote access system which connects to machines with the LogMeIn remote client installed on them. The remote access client has a tiny over head and runs in the background on your Mac with a small icon sitting on your toolbar.
- LogMeIn Rescue - Web-based remote support without pre-installed software for PCs, Macs and Smartphones
- LogMeIn Central – Web-based management that helps deliver and administer LogMeIn’s remote access, computer management and VPN connectivity services.
- LogMeIn Pro² - Web-based anytime, anywhere access to your computer’s files and applications.
- LogMeIn Backup – Remote backup to your own storage devices, without relying on third-party or external storage services.
- LogMeIn Hamachi - a hosted VPN service that securely connects devices and networks.
- LogMeIn Free - gives you remote control of your PC or Mac from any other computer with an Internet connection.
- LogMeIn Ignition - gives you direct, one-click access to all your LogMeIn computers; no need to use a browser or remember multiple passwords.
- LogMeIn Ignition** - for iPhone and iPod touch provides fast, one-click access to your LogMeIn computers, directly from your Apple device.
LogMeIn have been making remote control solutions since 2003, over 70 million devices worldwide have connected to their servers at one point or another.
Which is where Rowmote came in.