If you really are serious about web development, Google analytics will play a large part in your monthly/weekly/daily reporting. Analytics is a free service offered to web developers by Google. Using tracking code in your website and an online control panel you can obtain in-depth data about your website and online campaigns.
The boffins over at Google have recently released a ‘closed’ beta offering something never seen before in the analytics control panel.. A true ‘real time’ view of your current sites visitors, with statistics updating every second. Currently when switching to the beta view, you get:
- Overview pane
- Current visitor count – Shows the number of people visiting your website right now
- Page views per minute – Shows the number of page views in the last 30 minutes broken down into 1 minute segments
- Page views per second - Shows the number of page views in the last 30 seconds broken down into 1 second segments
- Top referrals – Shows the number and names of referring websites
- Top active pages – Shows you the busiest webpage on your site
- Top keywords – Shows you how your current visitors found your sites by the keywords they used
- Top locations – Shows an interactive map of where your current visitors are located
- Locations pane – With a break down of active visitors per location, with not only a count but a bar chart view:
- Traffic sources pane – With a breakdown of all your sites current referes
- Active content pane – With a breakdown of what your visitors are current viewing right now.